Pilates consists of movements and techniques that make it appropriate for people with limited mobility, as well as, those who suffer from the pain of Fibromyalgia, and has been shown to improve common MS symptoms such as deteriorating balance, posture, etc. It helps to correct posture by strengthening the core muscles in the abdomen, or what Joseph Pilates referred to as “the powerhouse”. Further, Pilates technique requires you to breath deeply and execute precise movements. This controlled movement and coordinated breathing help to improve brain-body integration as well as promote the release of endorphins which help to combat depression. Many Pilates exercises performed on the mat and/or various Pilates apparatus incorporate twisting and reaching which translate well into daily actions such as walking, rising from chairs and climbing stairs.
Pliates for Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
Osteoporosis is the gradual loss of bone not due to the normal aging process.
Osteopenia is mildly reduced bone mass indicating the onset of osteoporosis.
The Benfits of Pilates
- The importance of weight-bearing exercise that loads and strengthens bone is invaluable.
- Research has shown that physical exercise alone can halt the progression of bone loss.
- Emphasizes a lengthening of the spine from the back top of head to tailbone.
- Focuses especially on effective abdominal strengthening–but without using “crunches,” which place the spine at risk for fracture.
- Requires clients to maintain their neutral or optimal spine position during most exercises.
- Encourages clients to improve their thoracic spine extension , which is safe for the spinal vertebrae) to prevent or reduce thoracic Kyphosis.
Pilates for Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a condition notable for pain and low–energy fatigue.
The Benefits of Pilates
- Helps with mental concentration, and over sensitization of the central nervous system.
- Pilates has proven to decrease Depression/Anxitey and sleep disturbance.
- Improves circulation to decrease tender arteries, chest tightness, shortness of breath and light-headedness.
- Stimulates internal organs and can decrease symptoms of irritable bowel and/or bladder.
- Pilates will improve any numbness and tingling of hands and feet.
Pilates for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disease that affects the nervous system and decreases motor control and balance.
The Benefits of Pilates
- increased body awareness and confidence
- improved movement, posture, balance, flexibility, and mood
- more efficient and effective movement
- improved ability to walk
- sense of support (in group setting)
- helps to open and lengthen muscles